Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Title: Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Page Count: 390 pages
Summary:Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost.


Review: There will most definitely be spoilers inside, so beware if you haven't read it yet! I can't write a review of this without spoilers - I don't think it's possible!

What I Liked:
  • The Final Hunger Games! Um, hello? What's not to like about the final installment of this awesome series? Although this one was definitely darker and gorier than the last two, where the violence wasn't quite so war-like and more for survival, I still loved it to pieces. It had a different tone as well and I think I liked the first book the most of all, but I don't think you can even compare them - all three are so different!
  • Katniss is messed up! Okay, this might be a great thing to like, but I thought it was so realistic how damaged Katniss was during this book. She's been through so much and it's taken a huge toll on her. I loved that she didn't just stay strong and carry on, like we always expect protagonists to.
  • Reality show? Loved that Katniss' becoming the Mockingjay, the symbol of  the revolution, made her have more TV time. I thought that the revolution would be me underground than that, but it made so much sense when you consider the culture of this book. 
What I Didn't Like (Okay, these won't be minuses, really. Just things that made me sad.):


  • Peeeeeeeeeta! You don't know what you got till it's gone, right? And Peeta, oh Peeta. I was so happy when he was rescued, halfway into the book, and then he's CRAZY. Like insane. It made me so sad and I wanted the old, sweet Peeta back so bad.
  • ANOTHER Hunger Games? Okay, there has been much debate about this part of the book. Why would Katniss agree to have a Hunger Games with Capitol children? To scare Snow before he dies, because she meant to kill Coin all along? Or was she just going crazy?
  • Violence. Near the end of Mockingjay, I got a little sick to my stomach from all the violence. Everyone dying in these disgusting ways, urgh, and then PRIM. I think the violence was necessary, but it shocked me. Until now, the violence in these books has been pretty tame, but the end, gah. Thinking about it makes me feel bad. 
Overall, I still think that the first in this series was the best, but I did love Mockingjay. A definite book to read.

Overall: 4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment