Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Teaser Tuesday! :)

I've finished the last story I posted, well the first draft at least. It was just a short story, although it doesn't have a name yet.

Today's teaser is from something I just started to work on! :) Enjoy!


The first time I saw Win, he was sitting at a cafeteria table by himself, reading a book. The idea that he was reading a book while he ate his sandwich shocked me more than the fact that he was sitting by himself, but it should've been the other way around - he was gorgeous. And not in a bad boy, sensitive artist type of way. No, he had a buzz cut and even though he was hunched over the table, I could tell that his biceps were huge. He looked like he'd just gotten back from boot camp or something.

I didn't sit down next to him or across from him. I wanted to, desperately, but Cynthia was waiting for me at a table near the huge pictures windows. But curiousity overcame me, as it always did when I saw people reading, and I approached him. "Excuse me?" I said.

He looked up quickly, like he'd just been pulled out of a dream. It was always kind of a physical shock when someone shook you from a good book. "Yes?" he said, and his voice was very deep.

"I just wanted to ask: what're you reading?"

He smiled halfway, just using the corners of his mouth, and lifted up the book so that I could see the cover. It was covered in library laminate, so the edges crinkled a little bit as he held it open.

"Catch-22," I said, rolling the name on my tongue. "Is it any good?"

He nodded. "Yeah, it's awesome. I'd definitely recommend it."

I pressed my lips together, trying to keep from smiling. He set the book down on the table and took another bite of his sandwich. "I'm Emma," I told him.

He swallowed the bite, his Adam's apple bobbing. "Win," he replied. "Well, Winston, really, but no one calls me that."

"Nice to meet you," I said, beginning to walk away.

His smile was huge when I looked back over my shoulder but I kept mine secret, tucking my head down toward my chin.

No comments:

Post a Comment