Sunday, August 8, 2010

Review: She's So Dead to Us by Kieran Scott


Title: She's So Dead to Us
Author: Kieran Scott
Page Count: 278 pages
Summary: Perfect, picturesque Orchard Hill. It was the last thing Ally Ryan saw in the rear-view mirror as her mother drove them out of town and away from the shame of the scandal her father caused when his hedge fund went south and practically bankrupted all their friends -- friends that liked having trust funds and new cars, and that didn't like constant reminders that they had been swindled. So it was adios, Orchard Hill. Thanks for nothing.

Now, two years later, Ally's mother has landed a job back at the site of their downfall. So instead of Ally's new low-key, happy life, it'll be back into the snake pit with the likes of Shannen Moore and Hammond Ross.

But then there's Jake Graydon. Handsome, wealthy, bored Jake Graydon. He moved to town after Ally left and knows nothing of her scandal, but does know that he likes her. And she likes him. So off into the sunset they can go, right? Too bad Jake's friends have a problem with his new crush since it would make Ally happy. And if anyone deserves to be unhappy, it's Ally Ryan.

Ally was hoping to have left all the drama in the past, but some things just can't be forgotten. Isn't there more to life than money?


Review: I really didn't expect to love this book. I thought it would be a good book to lose myself in, but not something that I'd be clamoring to finish, wanting to know what happens. I read a few reviews of it, so I pushed it up to the top of my to-read pile. I'm a fast reader, but this one went by too fast!

What I Liked:
  • The main character. Ally was fierce, guys. She stands up for herself, plays sports, and doesn't get so swoon-y over guys that she forgets how rude they've been to her. She isn't a pushover. I loved her.
  • The setting. Orchard Hill was so well described, I thought I'd gone there myself. Kieran Scott did a wonderful job on describing the scenery and the people who lived there; some scenes were so rich with description that I was almost amazed at how in-depth Scott went.
  • Jake! In the beginning, I hated Jake so much and even by the end, I wasn't sure how much I liked him. But I totally swooned over him at times, even if he could be a total dick. He acted like a real person who cares what their friends think and I really enjoyed that about him. And even he knew when his friends went too far.
What I Didn't Like:
  • The conflict. I found it super childish for Ally's old friends to completely hate her for something that her father had done. Sure, they could be a little annoyed and not want to be friends with her, whatever, but the extent to which they pranked her and froze her out was a little extreme.
  • The end. Total cliffhanger, urgh! I thought this was a standalone book but the end makes it obvious that it is not. But I liked the idea that it was a standalone book, even if Ally didn't reconcile with her friends at the end.
  • The slang. The rich kids were called 'Cresties' because they lived on the crest of a hill and the not-rich people: 'Normies'. I'm not kidding. I cringed every time it was used.
Overall, I really enjoyed the characters and the setting of She's So Dead to Us and the good definitely outweighed the bad. I was surprised at how much I liked it! I'd definitely recommend it if you want a light read.

Romance: 3.5/5 stars
Overall: 4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment