Thursday, July 1, 2010

Review: The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott


Title: The Unwritten Rule
Author: Elizabeth Scott
Page Count: 210
Summary: (from Goodreads) "Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don't like your best friend's boyfriend. Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend. Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful. Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more..."

Review: I've been wanting to read this one since it came out and there was tons of blogger buzz about it. The premise is just so... forbidden. (Some spoilers, but very teeny ones!)

In reality, Sarah's situation sucks. Royally. But I found it a little hard to feel bad for her because she didn't do anything about it. She never told Brianna that she liked him, she never stood up for herself when Brianna was putting her down - I guess I just get a little frustrated with characters who don't stand up for themselves or what they want because they feel they aren't worthy, you know? I'm such an outspoken, opinionated person that it's hard for me to relate to those kinds of characters. (I think it would be even harder for me to write one!)

I really like Elizabeth Scott's books. I feel like she gets to the heart of things, to where teenagers can relate the most. Her characters are just very... real to me. Brianna was exactly the way she was because of her parents and I could see it so well in Scott's writing. Her characters were always consistent, up until the very end.

The plot did move a little slowly to me, which I think is a bad thing in a book this short. I was never bored, but I would've liked to see a little more, I don't know, oomph.

I have a hard time reviewing this book because I liked it, I just don't have much to say about it!

How about this? Go read it yourself!

Romance Rating: 3.5/5 stars
Overall Rating: 3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment