Thursday, July 15, 2010

Review: Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink


Title: Prophecy of the Sisters
Author: Michelle Zink
Page Count: 342 pages
Summary: "Sixteen-year-old Lia Milthorpe and her twin sister Alice have just become orphans, and, as Lia discovers, they have also become enemies. The twins are part of an ancient prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other. To escape from a dark fate and to remain in the arms of her beloved boyfriend James, Lia must end the prophecy before her sister does. Only then will she understand the mysterious circumstances of her parents' deaths, the true meaning of the strange mark branded on her wrist, and the lengths to which her sister will go to defeat her. Debut novelist Michelle Zink takes readers on an unforgettable journey where one sister's fateful decision could have an impact of Biblical proportions. Prophecy of the Sisters is the first of three books."

Review: I wanted to like this book, I really did. The premise was interesting, for sure, even if it isn't the genre I'd usually read, and I kind of loved the idea of two sisters who want to kill each other.

But it was so slow.

Usually, I'll get annoyed if the beginning is a little slow, but I can slog through it if it picks up a little later on. However, Prophecy didn't ever pick up at all. Things happen, of course, but I feel like there wasn't much action at all and certainly not the action that was advertised in the blurb. That really frustrates me because it feels like the blurb is advertising something that isn't there.

Basically, the whole book was just finding out about the prophecy and discovering little clues as to what the prophecy means, exactly. (Because they are never just straightforward!) I feel like all of this sleuthing about the prophecy could've been figured out in say, seventy pages, and then the sequel would just be the rest of the book! It was a little unnecessary.

The characters were all pretty flat, aside from Alice, although I did like Lia's friends Sonia and Luisa. I would've liked to have seen the main character a little more conflicted about her decisions because I think it would've given her some depth instead of being a hero in all situations, no matter what.

My biggest problem, however, was with how lighthearted most of the book seemed. I couldn't get into the seriousness of the situation because the characters are just acting like they're trying to solve some grand mystery instead of being in fear of Satan taking over the world, which seems a little serious to me. And the whole astral plane thing? It was a little contrived. My disbelief was not suspended for this novel and I think that's a really important thing for these types of books.

I did want to like the book and around page 150 or so, there was a really juicy secret that came that made me want to read more. But after that, nothing really happened that seemed of much consequence and it disappointed me.

Overall, I didn't really enjoy this novel. I don't think I'll be reading the sequel, which I hope has a little more action than this one.

Overall: 2.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment