Monday, July 12, 2010

Teaser Tuesday!

I haven't been writing much lately, mostly because I'm lazy. Sometimes I just want to hang out and go on Twitter and the Internet all day without having to worry about finishing TUON. And halfway through this draft, I've hit a kind of slump. However, I'm going to try to keep writing because I'm going to be so busy when I get to college, I won't have much time for it.

Anyways, here's a little teaser from TUON. Zoey and her best friend from the past, Alison, are hanging out in her bedroom.


“Hey, so,” I said, trying to change the subject. “I was looking up amnesia on that Googley thing-“

“Google,” she corrected. “C’mon, Zoe, it was around when we were thirteen.”

“Whatever, I don’t use the computer. Anyway, I was looking it up, and there’s this one guy who can’t remember anything at all about his life. He was found in this Burger King parking lot, naked and beat up, and no one has any idea who he is. He’s gone on all these talk shows and stuff and no one has come forward claiming to know him.”

Alison came over to sit on the bed with me. “What if that happened to you? Like you forgot everything?”

“You know what I always think about? Why those four years? Why not, just the past couple of days or weeks or something? Or just a concussion? Or something? I mean, I remember how to do some stuff, like the doctor said I would. The other day, I got behind the wheel of my mom’s car and I knew how to drive. I knew where my feet went and how to shift and everything. I knew. But it wasn’t because I remembered. Why is it like that, Al?”

She shrugged. “I have no idea. What happened to you is so rare! It only happens in soap operas and stuff. Not in real life.”

“And you know what? Some days, I really don’t want to remember. I just want to live like this. Because I feel kind of innocent, like the person that drank all the time and wore hoochie clothes wasn’t me and I don’t have take responsibility. It’s like I’m two different people, Al. But I’m not. I’m just me.”

She put her arm around me and I hadn’t realized it, but I was crying, tears rolling down my face. I hated crying, I hated it so much it made me angry. Around Alison, though, I didn’t feel quite so vulnerable. I didn’t feel like I had to be tough and hide from my feelings. I could just be sad and everything would be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment